11 Jul Whānau Ora Summary
Whānau Ora is an inclusive approach to providing services and opportunities to families across New Zealand. It empowers families as a whole, rather than focusing separately on individual family members and their problems.
Whānau Ora is not a one size fits all approach. It is deliberately designed to be flexible to meet family needs. It requires the Government and other agencies to work together with families rather than separately with individual family members. It will be available to all families in need across New Zealand. Read more here
The Whānau Ora journey can provide much support for understanding collaborative working frameworks and engagement important to Māori and Whānau. Whānau Ora is founded and driven from the Whānau Ora outcomes framework seeking to support Whānau to be:
- Living healthy lifestyles;
- Participating fully in society;
- Confidently participating in Te Ao Māori (the Māori world);
- Economically secure and successfully involved in wealth creation;
- Cohesive, resilient and nurturing; and
- Responsible stewards to their living and natural environment. Read more here
These principles can therefore also be applied to organisations and workers and drive the way they work with others internally and externally.